Monday 8 July 2013

Geisha on Cheesecloth

Geisha 





I have just finished creating this Japanese Geisha lady piece and thought I would detail some of the aspects of it.




Cheesecloth image 
I really enjoyed creating this one. First, I printed the Dover image of the Japanese Geisha onto cheesecloth.  The texture of the cheesecloth really adds to the image. In order to do this, the cheesecloth was temporarily adhered to freezer paper by ironing it. Once it was printed, I frayed the edges somewhat.  

The second layer is a piece of fabric stamped with Chinese script.  I then beaded and embroidered the cheesecloth image. The layers of paper behind the fabric are pieces of coffee dyed paper torn from a discard book picked up at the library.  The burlap was toned with a stamp pad and the piece is mounted onto a painted canvas.  


Felted Flower
Images glued to glass domes
The felted flower in the lower left was made by stamping white poly felt, with an espresso ink and then cutting the different size petals (two sets of four for three different sizes. The petals were attached together with a brad and then I used the heat gun to distress the flower.  The leaves are made of distressed felt that was cut with my Big Shot by Sissix, using a Tim Holz die.  The glass domes of the geisha images are readily available on Ebay and the images were purchased through Etsy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment